Classroom Happenings 2/19/18

I want to start with a big thank you to all who joined us on the field trip,  helped with the Valentines Day party in any way, or sent in tissues and disinfectant wipes. Your support is accepted with much gratitude. 

1. MATH–  Study Island weekly homework assignment for the week of 2/19 – 2/23 has been activated. Please have your child complete the 12 questions by Friday morning. They can do it over the course of the week or all at one time. Whatever works best for you and your family. If the kids have questions about the math you are more than welcome to assist them. If your child is unable to complete this assignment at home, they will need to stay in during a recess period to complete it at school. 
  2. MATHMobyMax is still required Monday-Thursday for five minutes each night.  I will also continue to have all kids practice fluency here at school. 🙂
  3.  Math-  We have completed the first half of unit 5 which involves learning the basic language of number stories. Now we are tackling two-step number stories, which are usually a bit more difficult for the kids. Please make sure to help with/check your child’s math homework this week. 
  4. Writing-This will be the final week for our realistic fiction stories. If your child has not completed his/her final draft by Wednesday, they will be taking it home to finish. 
  5. Reading- The kids are enjoying their second book in a series. 
  6. Spelling- Unit 21 will involve adding -ed and -ing to Short and Long Vowel CVCe Words(shopping, shaped,)
  • Social Studies- Our history unit is complete, and we will start our next Michigan unit on Government on Tuesday. There will be many short quizzes in this unit since the concepts are so hard to understand at this age level.
  • Look for your spring conference time to be coming home soon. Conferences will be held on Monday, March 12 and Wednesday, March 14. If either of those days might be a conflict for you please let me know. I will attempt to find you a new day/time before I even send the notice out.  
 Have a great week!Mrs. Flory         

Classroom Happenings 2/5 -2/9

0

Posted by Nflory | Posted in ParentStudents | Posted on February 4, 2018

• Winter Break: Monday, February 5 and Tuesday, February 6: I hope you are all enjoying some fun family time together. I’m getting in a little skiing myself. It’s winter in Michigan, get out and enjoy all it has to offer. 
  • MATH–  Study Island weekly homework assignment for the week of 2/5 – 2/9  has been activated. Please have your child complete the 12 questions by Friday morning. They can do it over the course of the week or all at one time. Whatever works best for you and your family. If the kids have questions about the math you are more than welcome to assist them. If your child is unable to complete this assignment at home, they will need to stay in during a recess period to complete it at school. 
  • MATH– MobyMax is still required Monday-Thursday for five minutes each night.  I will also continue to have all kids practice fluency here at school. 🙂
  •  Math- The kids took the Unit  4 test on Friday and will begin unit 5 when the kids return on Wednesday. This unit will involve solving one and two step word problems using all four operations (+, -, x, ÷)
  • Writing- The kids are coming up with some amazing realistic fiction stories! This week we will add some details to the heart of our stories and work on the ending before we begin to revise and edit them. 
  • Reading- The book club groups are all nearing the end of their first chapter book in a series. After they complete a retell of their book and take a Reading Counts quiz, they will begin their second book in the series. 
  • Spelling- No Spelling lists this week due to the short week. We will have some fun with a list of February/Valentines Day words. 
  • Social Studies- Michigan History:  We will finish learning all that was involved for Michigan to become a state. Look for a study guide to come home soon. I will give a short quiz and then send a study guide for the History final exam.
  • Field Trip: Our field trip to DeGraaf Nature Center will take place on Tuesday, February 13. Please remember to send in your child’s $1.oo if you haven’t yet done that. Also, make sure your child is dressed warmly in snow pants, coat, boots, hat, and mittens to take part in snowshoeing.

Valentines Day Party: will take place on Wednesday, February 14 from 11:30 -12:15. Valentine boxes and Valentines should be brought in by the morning of February 14.