Classroom Happenings Room 207 12/3/18

Happy December! This month will surely fly by with all of the activities and functions surrounding the holidays. I hope you were able to take a look at the details for the Polar Express Party I posted on Saturday. Mrs. Houtstra is planning on putting a few more available slots on it so that more of you can volunteer. Be sure to check back on the Polar Express Volunteer page.    

Upcoming Events: 

December 3 – 14: Sale $1.00 per candy cane with proceeds going to support fifth-grade campers.

December 4: Penguin Patch Gift shop- Our class will be shopping for gifts for their family members from 2:45 -3:30 on Tuesday. If you would like to have your child participate, please send money with them, including tax money, on Tuesday.

December 13: 7:45 -8:15 Holiday Music Program: Please do not arrive to drop your child to his/her assigned room any earlier than 7:30. I will not be there to supervise them before 7:30. Thank you.

December 20: 9:15 -10:30 Polar express party. We are planning crafts, games, and snacks related to the Polar Express theme and will be combining all of the 3rd-grade classes.

Math: Last week we worked on measuring to the nearest 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch. This is still difficult for 8 and 9-year-olds. Please send some time at home working on this skill. We also covered measuring liquid volume. This week we will learn how to measure in metric liquid volume and weigh in U.S. standard weight and Metric mass.

Writing: The kids have been busy learning how to break their topics into subtopics and write an introduction that hooks the reader. We will work on writing paragraphs for each subtopic this week. 

Spelling: Your child should get their Week 11-word lists on Monday.  Please help your child work with these words this week. Thank you!Week-11-Words

Below is a link to a document that has ideas to help your child practice their spelling words for each month of the year.   December Monthly Activities PDF

Social Studies: Your child took the final Geography test on Friday. You will see that come home in your child’s folder. Our next social studies unit is Michigan Economics. The kids will learn how Michigan residents use Michigan’s natural resources and how using them affects Michigan’s economy. 

Reading: We are continuing our learning how to read and gather information from a non-fiction book. The goal is to have the kids use the information they learn about non-fiction in reading and apply it to their own non-fiction writing piece.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. It is best to contact me via email. I check that frequently, so will be able to respond in a more timely manner. nflory@hpseagles.net

Have a great week!

Mrs. Flory