Classroom Happenings 2/18/19

Bitmoji ImageLet’s try again for a full week of school. Whew! This has been some winter. In a little more than two weeks I will be handing out report cards and meeting with all of you for conferences again. Check your email this Friday for your day and time. Your day and time will be the same as the fall schedule except the dates will be March 11 and March 13.

Math: We are still working on adding three digit numbers. Please don’t worry about using the methods I have been teaching them in class. If you are use to the traditional method of adding then feel free to work with your child using that method. We only show them the other methods so they are able to choose the method that makes sense to them. We will start subtracting three digit numbers this week with and without borrowing or as we call it, (ungrouping) the 100s or 10s.

Writing: On Friday we began typing our Realistic Fiction stories. It is a slow process, so I told the kids that if they are able to work on it at home at all it would be fantastic. They are typing them on a Google document which are webbed based making it accessible from any computer that has internet. Just open up Google Chrome and have your child log in to his/her Google account. Their emails are just their school username followed by @hpsstudents.net and their passwords are their school passwords.  Next open up Google Drive and click on my documents. Your child’s writing piece should be there. : )

Spelling: Your child should have brought home the Unit 16 words on Friday. This week’s focus is on the consonant blends (ch and tch) Below is the Unit 16 list of words.

Social Studies: Hopefully your child has told you a little about the French coming to Michigan to trade furs with the Native Americans. Next week we will learn about some other French who came to Michigan and then fill out a study guide for a test on the French in Michigan. There is a lot of information for the history of Michigan, so I will be giving quizzes on shorter sections instead of waiting until the end where the amount of information would be overwhelming. Look for a study guide to come home sometime this week. 

Reading: Hopefully your child was able to finish up his/her chapter book this weekend. With all of the snow days, we are really behind. Next week we will begin reading fiction and nonfiction articles learning how to answer questions about the readings and write constructive response answers.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. It is best to contact me via email. I check that frequently, so will be able to respond in a more timely manner. nflory@hpseagles.net

Mrs. FloryBitmoji Image